Art Deco Topaz necklace by Reneé Hafeman
1940’s Scandinavian Green Topaz Sterling Silver Pendant
Hallmarked by Swedish Maker
18″ Sterling Silver Box Chain
- Topaz is a precious stone.
- Topaz is named from Greek “topazion” for a type of gemstone, after Sanskrit “tapas” – fire, alluding to the brilliance of gem-quality material.
- Topaz has been known from antiquity.
- Color varieties are often known by the name of the hue— blue topaz, green topaz, and so on.
- It serves as the Mohs hardness scale index mineral for a hardness of 8. Every student who takes a physical geology course learns about the hardness of topaz. A Diamond is only harder.
Modern Abstract necklace by Reneé Hafeman
Silver Druzy, Onyx, and Crystal pendant
Hallmarked “Austria-Silver 07”
30″ Sterling Silver Chain
Hand-forged Sterling Closure
- Druzy is a natural gemstone.
- Quartz is a type of druzy.
- The overall appearance resembles sugar.
- The tiny crystals are beautiful because they catch rays of light.
- Druzy gets its name from the word “druse,” which refers to a rock surface (usually a cavity) covered with tiny crystals, such as are found inside geodes or in larger pockets of mineral deposits.
- A druzy hardness ratio is 6 which makes it a perfect match for pendant jewelry.
“You will find many of my designs are Modernist and Mid-Century. These eras began in the 1950’s. During that time, some of the most famous and innovative jewelry designs and designers were created. It was a time of streamline design, curves, futuristic impression, creative artistry and modernism. The jewelry supplies at that time began the start of innovative materials never yet used, such as silver, brass, copper and precious stones that fit the raw simplistic design.
When I am searching for a piece to design into a necklace, my eyes draw to geometric and abstract modern shapes.”
Reneé Hafeman, jewerly designer
Fairweather House and Gallery, 612 Broadway St.
HELLO SUNSHINE, Fairweather’s Art Sale and Show.
Now through August 25th.
Art for the exhibition created entirely by Northwest artists. Featuring art by Paul Brent, Lieta Gratteri, Reneé Hafeman, Bev Drew Kindley, Karen E. Lewis, Carolyn Lindberg, Neal Maine and Fedor Zubanov.
Please read more about our gallery, our commitment to NW artists, and our products made by NW hands @