Rise and Shine 12 x 12 pastel by Gretha Lindwood
“And, then the Clouds Rolled In” en Plein air pastel painting by Gretha Lindwood
Fifty of the top en Plein air artists in America painted in Devendorf Park for a juried painting competition in the Quickdraw, a 2-hour event where the participating artists completed a painting, and frame it while a LIVE audience watched them during the Carmel Art Festival in May, 2022.
By painting in the traditional en Plein air style and by using an impressionistic touch, my landscapes invite the viewer into the scene. These landscapes can bring to mind the feel of soft mist from a foggy morning on your cheek, and the taste of a salty ocean breeze on your lips. Crisp, refreshing, and vivid are words that have been used to describe my paintings
Intrigued by the challenge of painting varied landscapes such as undulating fields of grass, clouds, and water in a convincing manner, I have chosen buttery soft pastels on sandpaper as my materials. The use of vibrant color and strong design are hallmarks of my work which I developed during my career as an illustrator and graphic designer.
As a lifelong resident of the Pacific Northwest, I cherish our unique landscapes honed by water and time and delight in capturing their beauty in the lush colors of pastels to share with the viewer.
Light and Wave pastel by Gretha Lindwood
AWARDS, JURIED SHOWS, EVENTS, INVITATIONALS•
2022, Northwest Pastel Society 36th Annual International Open Exhibition, Tacoma, WA — “President’s Award”, Albert Handell, judge
• 27th Annual Carmel Art Festival, Carmel-by-the-sea, CA four gallery director jurors/judges — “Mayor’s Choice” Award
• North Carolina Statewide Exhibition: “From the Mountains to the Sea”, virtual exhibition — “Honorable Mention”, Michael Chesley Johnson, judge
• 43rd Annual Celebration of Creativity, Beaverton, OR
2020, 5 x 5 Invitational Westmont Ridley-Tree Museum, Santa Barbara, CA
• Pastel Artists of Oregon Spirit of Pastel, a virtual international exhibition
2019, Sitka Art Invitational, Miller Hall, World Forestry Center, Portland, OR
• Portland Open Studio Tour, Portland, OR• Washington County Artist Studio Open Studio Tour
• Pacific Northwest Plein Air, Maryhill Museum of Art, Goldendale, WA
• IAPS 34th Juried Exhibition, Albuquerque, NM
• PAWA Little Gems Juried Exhibition, Anacortes, WA
• 26th Annual Carmel Art Festival, Carmel-by-the-sea, CA — “Honorable Mention” Award, Bryan Mark Taylor, judge
• Northwest Pastel Society 33rd Annual Annual International Open Exhibition, Tacoma, WA
• Lake Area Artists Annual Show & Sale, Lake Oswego, OR — “Pat Tunks” Award
2018, Portland Open Studio Tour, Portland, OR
• Washington County Artist Studio Open Studio Tour
• Paint the Peninsula 2018, Port Angeles, WA — “Olympic National Park Superintendent’s” Award
• High Desert Museum Art in the West, Bend, OR
• Salmagundi Club 40th Annual Open Exhibition, New York, NY – “Pastel Society of America” Award
• Plein Air & More, White Bird Gallery, Cannon Beach, OR – “Southwest Art Magazine” Award
• Los Gatos Plein Air 2016, Los Gatos, CA
• 25th Annual Carmel Art Festival, Carmel-by-the-sea, CA
To read more, please visit
Fairweather House and Gallery
612 Broadway Street
Seaside has inspired artists to create new art themes, sensations, and wonders. Being so near the ocean and art are two allies within the artistic world, bound by mutual thought, and emotion.
Sea Symphony through June 25
The exhibition features the newest original work from regional artists Sandy Viisse, Dorota Haber-Lehigh, Emily Miller, Gretha Lindwood, Jo Ann Pari- Mueller, and Jan Rimmerman.